Sunday, September 25, 2011

Can You Get Food Intolerances Later in Life?

By John Carlo


As far as I can remember I never had problems eating just about any food. It may have been the case where I didn't like the way something tasted but I could still eat it, in other words it didn't make me sick. Fast forward twenty years and I hear myself saying things like "I can't eat so and so because I have a food intolerance to it." What does it mean to have food intolerances? How is having food intolerance different from being allergic to certain foods? Why do we become intolerant to certain foods as we age?

In my case it's shell fish. One time when I was much younger I tried a raw clam; it turned my stomach really bad and about a couple of hours later I was vomiting. I think that was the start of my food intolerance. There is some information online regarding stressful situations in connection with a food episode like the one I had. But unfortunately it's not understood why.

Regardless of the reason the intolerance was gradual as other food items were added to the list. In the case of raw clams I could never eat them but I was still able to eat lobster, cocktail shrimp and my favorite stuffed shrimp. First it was the cocktail shrimp; just putting it anywhere next to my mouth would make my stomach turn. Then the lobster, I felt really sorry when I couldn't eat lobster but it wasn't as hard to give up as stuffed shrimp.

So why was I able to eat these things when I was younger but not so much now? First of all let's quickly mention that food intolerances are different from food allergies. For example, food allergies will cause an immediate reaction of your body's immune system. This reaction can cause a life threatening condition called asphyxiation and requires immediate medical attention. Food intolerances on the other hand are normally non life threatening and usually cause problems with your digestive tract.

I for one will not die (as far now) eating shell fish but it will make me sick to my stomach. What are some causes of food intolerances? A quick search online list several causes including lack of certain digestive enzymes as in the case of being lactose intolerant. Other reasons include celiac disease, irritable bowel syndrome, sensitivities to preservatives found in some foods, even a stressful memory of certain food (as may be the case with my food intolerance).

Finally the question; can food intolerances and food allergies develop as we age? The simple answer is yes. Now as to why it happens exactly is not yet known. There are many different examples. For some people they may have had an allergy or intolerance when they were younger, but they grew out of it, only to find later in life they have it again or with another entirely different food.

Although disappointing that we do not yet know why we get food intolerances and allergies as we age at least we can test for them and learn how to live with them. It just goes to show that things are always changing especially within our own bodies and we have to stay alert. If you think you may have an intolerance or allergy see your doctor right away.

John Carlo is the webmaster for Food Allergies and Food Intolerance. For more information please visit http://www.foodallergiesandfoodintolerance.com/


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=John_Carlo


http://EzineArticles.com/?Can-You-Get-Food-Intolerances-Later-in-Life?&id=6574114




No comments:

Post a Comment